What Does the Future Hold for Electronics Manufacturing? 2017 iNEMI Roadmap to be released in April; webinars scheduled
The 2017 iNEMI Roadmap — our most comprehensive roadmap to date — is scheduled to go on sale in April. This latest edition is planned to contain 28 chapters and includes a new chapter on Internet of Things (IoT). This will be the largest iNEMI roadmap since its inception in 1994.
Our roadmap is a global collaborative effort involving the participation of individual experts in a broad range of fields that represent the many perspectives across the electronics manufacturing supply chain. Approximately 500 individuals from at least 22 countries, and representing more than 350 corporations, consortia, government agencies and universities helped create this latest edition.
Technology trends & needs
Looking at a 10-year horizon, the 2017 Roadmap identifies technology needs for up to seven key product sectors and looks at the technology trends, as well as anticipated technology capabilities and developments, in as many as 21 technology areas
Several trends are expected to impact the electronics manufacturing and its supply chain over the next 10 years. Some of these include:
- Growing data volume — along with secure and swift transfer, and the ability to analyze it intelligently — will be a key industry focus.
- Security and interoperability of data, devices and users are two immediate “grand challenges” for the industry and its markets.
- Deployment of IOT capabilities beyond consumer markets into automotive, medical and industrial applications will drive major changes in global manufacturing and end use.
- Commercialization of services, particularly software-enabled and cloud-based services, will continue to expand.
- Growth of perceptual and location-aware computing and connectivity will continue the drive for heterogeneous system integration.
- The need to ensure supply chain integrity and efficiency will drive changes in existing business and manufacturing models.
Join us for a roadmap preview on April 6 & 7
Make plans now to join us for one of the two webinars scheduled to review highlights of select chapters from the 2017 iNEMI Roadmap. Both are open to the industry. The Asia webinar, scheduled for April 6, will review the new IoT chapter, along with the Packaging & Components Substrates chapter. The North America/Europe webinar on April 7 will discuss highlights of the IoT and Sustainable Electronics chapters. See additional details.