End of Project Webinar
End-of-Project Webinar: iNEMI Lead-Free Rework Optimization (Phases 1 and 2) (August 5. 2009)
Project Statement & SOW
- Statement of Work, v 3.1 (June 14, 2005)
- Project Statement, v 1.1 (May 5, 2005)
This project is evaluating and recommending best practices, rework equipment requirements, and procedures for best-of-breed lead-free rework processing in a manufacturing environment.
The iNEMI Lead-Free Assembly & Rework Project found a need for development of lead-free area array rework capabilities and mini-pot rework processes. With thicker boards (93 to 135mil thick), it was difficult to rework the lead-free area array packages and create adequate holefill during mini-pot rework. Reliability testing found issues with reworked area-array and adjacent components. There is an urgent need to better develop the lead-free rework process in terms of improved rework equipment tolerances and repeatability, and to optimize/reduce heat transfer into boards to minimize component and board temperatures. Benefits of optimizing the Pb-free rework process include:
- Understand and improve rework equipment tolerances and repeatability to reduce component and board temperatures and help attain a robust rework process.
- Optimize/reduce heat transfer into boards, which will reduce reliability issues.
- Reduce component temperatures during rework (which are already at or over the limits set in the existing industry component rating standards for lead-free rework).
- Better define and develop the mini-pot rework process so larger, thicker boards can be reworked instead of potentially scrapped.
This project is focusing on: rework repeatability, mini-pot wave rework, FCBGA/BGA socket rework, and reliability testing.
- Lead-Free Rework Optimization Project, Jasbir Bath (Flextronics), iNEMI Lead-Free Forum, April 1, 2008, IPC Expo, APEX & the Designers Summit (Las Vegas).
- iNEMI Rework Machine Temperature Tolerance and Repeatability Study (Session S08-Repair and Rework), Jasbir Bath (Flextronics International), Chris Underhill (Finetech USA), Jochen Schreck (ERSA GmbH), Paul Wood and Grant Miller (O.K. Industries), Doug Peck (VJ Electronixs), IPC Expo, APEX & the Designers Summit, April 1, 2008 (Las Vegas).
- iNEMI Lead-Free Micro BGA, CBGA, Mictor Connector and Through-Hole PDIP Rework Evaluations, Jasbir Bath (Solectron), Quyen Chu and Nabel Ghalib (Jabil Circuit), Charlie Han and Greg Smith (LACE Technologies), SMTA International, September 28, 2005 paper presentation
- iNEMI Lead-Free SMT Area Array Rework Optimization Project Proposal (March 2005), Jasbir Bath, Solectron Corporation