Board-Level Optical Interconnect Performance in Immersion-Cooled Environments
- Immersion cooling is gaining strong traction as a means of disruptive thermal management in HPCs and data centers.
- On-board optics are gaining importance through co-packaged optics and mid-board optics applications.
- There is insufficient understanding of how optical interconnect components will perform in immersion-cooled environments.
- To investigate and evaluate different on-board optical components and interconnect solutions in different immersion-cooled environments including single phase and dual phase.
- To understand how design factors of interconnect components affect performance in an immersion environment.
- Evaluate performance and properties of optical components, assemblies and interconnect immersed in variety of immersion cooled environments under realistic conditions (temperature, time, etc.).
- Develop an on-board optical ecosystem demonstrator that includes a comprehensive variety of different on-board/mid-board connector and cable solutions and facilitates measurement of performance during immersion.
- Evaluate optical interconnect performance with the demonstrator immersed in typical coolants under realistic conditions.
- Longer term — report to standards bodies (IEC, ISO, ITU)