Statement of Work and Project Statement
RDL (redistributed layer) adhesion for advanced substrates, fan-out wafer level packaging (FO-WLP) and panel level packaging (PLP) is critical for packaging lifetime quality. Poor adhesion strength can lead to circuit patterning quality and package reliability issues. RDL is exposed to the manufacturing process environment, which may cause degradation in the adhesion to other materials, such as the encapsulant, insulation, die, carrier wafer, substrate, panel, etc.
Currently, there is no global standard to measure narrow (20µm and below) RDL adhesion strength. The only available measurement standard is an IPC standard that is for wider Cu trace adhesion to printed circuit boards. It is critical for the industry to have a means to identify potential quality risks due to insufficient adhesion strength.
Purpose of Project
The objective of the RDL Adhesion Strength Measurement project is to evaluate adhesion strength measurement methodologies and characterize RDL mechanical performances. The project will also establish potential common requirements for key material properties so that packaging companies and users have identical qualification requirements.
The project will take the following approach:
- Evaluate the applicable adhesion strength measurement methodologies, validate selected methodologies and develop experimental guidelines.
- Apply the defined methodology to characterize RDL adhesion for several material sets and conditions. This may include accelerated stress testing of the test coupon or test vehicle to assess the relationship between adhesion and package reliability.
- Apply the validated methodologies and guidelines to characterize the RDL for FO-WLP and PLP.
Presentation from the call-for-participation webinar (March 2 & 3, 2021)
Please note: iNEMI membership is required to participate in this project.
Steps for Joining the Project
For iNEMI members:
Complete and sign the project statement and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Discuss annual membership fees with Marc Benowitz in North America (email@example.com), Haley Fu in Asia (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Steve Payne in Europe (email@example.com).
- Complete the iNEMI membership application and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete and sign the project statement and email to email@example.com