Presentation & recording from the call-for-participation webinar
(January 17 & 18, 2022)
Statement of Work & Project Statement
- Statement of Work (Version 1.0; January 16, 2021)
- Project Statement (Version 1.0; January 16, 2021)
Electronic packaging is made up of polymeric materials (dielectric, solder resist, core, mold, epoxy, etc.) that absorb moisture from the environment during substrate fabrication, packaging assembly and test processing. Absorbed moisture can cause material hygroscopic swelling and induces hygro-stress, which can lead to component warpage, delamination or popcorn failure during reflow or reliability tests.
Knowledge of the moisture properties of polymeric materials (diffusivity, concentration, hygroscopic swelling) is critical for optimizing package material and design to minimize moisture-related failures. Hygro-swelling properties are not widely available due to a lack of measurement methods, and existing commercial measurement techniques have limited temperature capability (20-120°C).
The ultimate goal of this iNEMI project is to give materials companies a better understanding of quantifiable material properties at higher temperatures and moisture concentrations to enable them to develop innovative new materials that minimize the risk of failure due to moisture and humidity.
“Novel Method for Measuring High Temperature Hygroscopic Swelling,” Ian Chin, Intel, Session WA1-2: iNEMI Session, May 11, 2022, 2022 International Conference on Electronics Packaging (ICEP 2022)
Please note: iNEMI membership is required to participate in this project.
Steps for Joining the Project
For iNEMI members:
Complete and sign the project statement and email to email@example.com
- Discuss annual membership fees with Shekhar Chandrashekhar in North America (firstname.lastname@example.org), Haley Fu in Asia (email@example.com) or Steve Payne in Europe (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Complete the iNEMI membership application and email to email@example.com
- Complete and sign the project statement and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
For additional information, please contact Masahiro Tsuriya (email@example.com).