Webinar presentation (January 20, 2022)
Statement of Work and Project Statement
Heterogeneous SiP packages are popular as an electronic packaging solution. These packages require finer circuitry patterns designed within the substrate/interposer (lines and spaces <10um). Defect inspection and measurement capability using AOI (automatic optical inspection) on these fine pitch substrates/interposers impacts yield, throughput and reliability. At the same time, larger panel size and more layers on substrates demands increased AOI capability to accurately detect, characterize and reject the true defects without over-rejections. Finer trace width and spaces will need better AOI optics to reduce the field of view and depth of focus while addressing warpage issues and organic panel shrinkage. Therefore, it is critical to characterize the current capabilities of AOI metrologies as well as to understand the future trends in AOI measurement and inspection technology.
- “Fine Pitch Circuit Pattern Inspection Capability Study for Fan-out Wafer Level Packaging,” Feng Xue, IBM, Session WA1-1: iNEMI Session, May 11, 2022, 2022 International Conference on Electronics Packaging (ICEP 2022)
- Phase 1: Fine Pitch Circuit Pattern Inspection/Metrology — Conducted an industry-wide survey to assess the readiness of measurement and inspection capabilities for fine circuit pattern substrates in 2016.
- Phase 2: Wafer/Panel Level Fine Pitch Substrate Inspection/Metrology — Performed an AOI inspection capability study on a glass-based test vehicle and a silicon wafer-based test in 2017/2018. The test vehicles were designed with fine pitch pattern trace widths from 10um nominal down to 4um nominal, and associated defect design such as excess copper and missing copper.
- Phase 3: Wafer/Panel Level Fine Pitch Substrate Inspection/Metrology — Conducted an AOI inspection study on an organic substrate test vehicle of the same design in 2019/2020
Steps for Joining the ProjectPlease note: iNEMI membership is required to participate in this project.
For iNEMI members:
Complete and sign the project statement and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Discuss annual membership fees with Shekhar Chandrashekhar in North America (email@example.com), Haley Fu in Asia (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Steve Payne in Europe (email@example.com).
- Complete the iNEMI membership application and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete and sign the project statement and email to email@example.com
For additional information, please contact Masahiro Tsuriya (firstname.lastname@example.org).