Call-for-Participation Webinar (July 7/8, 2022)
Download the presentation (which includes link to recorded webinar)
SOW & Project Statement
Equipment on the factory floor is isolated from the enterprise network of manufacturing organizations for cyber-security purposes. While this design protects external sources from accessing factory equipment, it also limits the ability to track who is interacting with the equipment internally since, typically, operators will not be logging in with enterprise credentials.
Equipment access control is locally managed
User IDs and passwords can be shared
No clear traceability on who logged in and what did they change on the UI (shared credentials)
No way to audit who has access at what level on a given tool computer
Cannot enforce periodic training refresher or disable access due to role change
No method to hold person clearing alarms and interacting with the factory floor equipment accountable on action as it is hard to figure out who logged in or what did they changed
- Develop a solution in which a third party authenticates access to equipment interfaces tied to enterprise credentials and access rights.
- Have the tool report out any/all changes made by the person after they are logged on to the station controller or log it in equipment logs for later retrieval.
- Currently there is no SEMI standard that covers solutions for tracking and logging operator interactions within factory floor equipment. Intel is proposing a pilot that can be used to document the learnings and have iNEMI influence SEMI.
- Net outcome should be inclusion in a SEMI standard.
- Benefits of a SEMI standard are that one does not need to develop a custom solution by equipment and/or tool suppliers, and can specify meeting the standard as a basic requirement in relevant purchase specs.
Organizations involved in this initiative to date:
- Applied Materials
- Kulicke & Soffa
- Koh Young
Steps for Joining the Project
Please note: iNEMI membership is required to participate in this project. Steps for joining the project follow.
For iNEMI members:
- Complete and sign the Project Statement
- Email the completed statement to email@example.com.
- Discuss annual membership fees with Shekhar Chandrashekhar in North America (firstname.lastname@example.org), Haley Fu in Asia (email@example.com) or Grace O'Malley in Europe (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Complete the iNEMI membership application. Why join?
- Scan and email the completed documents to email@example.com.
- Complete and sign the Project Statement.
- Scan and email the completed statement to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional information or to get involved with this project, please contact Mark Schaffer (email@example.com).