Say Phommakesone, Keysight
Richard Stephenson, EMD Group
Dr. Chang-Sheng Chen, ITRI
Thursday, June 2, 2022
These projects are for members only and require log-in.
- Report 1: Benchmark Current Industry Best Practices for Low Loss Measurements (November 2020)
- Report 2: Benchmark Emerging Industry Best Practices for Low Loss Measurements (November 2020)
- Report 3: A Round Robin Study to Determine Measurement Accuracies of Commercial Resonator-Based Techniques (January 2022)
Download the latest update (December 22, 2021)
Statement of Work & Project Statement
Next-generation 5G communications solutions require ultra-low loss laminate materials and PCBs/substrates for efficient design and manufacturing. However, these materials pose challenges. For example, there is no consistent methodology for measuring transmission loss or Df/Dk, especially for higher frequencies (e.g., >30 GHz). Many different approaches are currently used, requiring different fixtures and test methods, sample preparation, and/or data analysis/extraction.
The goal of this project is to develop a guideline/best practice for a standardized measurement and test methodology that can be shared with industry and relevant standards organizations. Initial focus will be to benchmark current available test methods and provide pro/con analysis, identify gaps (if any) for extending test methods to 5G/mmWave frequencies, as well as develop reliable reference standard materials for set-up and calibration.
The project will have two distinct phases:
- Phase 1: Develop technical guidelines and generate best practices for characterization of ultra-low loss laminate materials in the range of 5-100 GHz
- Phase 2: Extend the guidelines to PCB/substrate level characterization
iNEMI Tech Topic Series 2021: 5G/mmWave
- “Packaging for mmWave Communications,” Professor Madhavan Swaminathan (Georgia Institute of Technology), March 11, 2021
- “Broad Dielectric Characterization of Polymers and Ceramics in the 5G Frequency Range,” Professor Michael Lanagan (Penn State), April 8, 2021
- “Standard Reference Materials for 5G and Microwave Materials at NIST,” Dr. Nathan Orloff (NIST), May 6, 2021
- “Enabling Thin Glass Solutions for 5G,” Aric Shorey (Mosaic Microsystems), July 15, 2021
Please note: several of the following presentations and/or papers are only available from the conference proceedings.
Microwave & Radar Week (MRW) 2022 (September 12-17; Gdansk, Poland) These presentations are available to iNEMI members only; log-in required to download.
iNEMI 5G/mmWave Presentations at Device Packaging Conference (March 8; Fountain Hills, Arizona USA) (Please note: we do not have permission to post these presentations; please check with iMAPS for conference proceedings.)
- iNEMI Workshop on Microwave and Millimetre-Wave Characterization of Dielectric Sheets: presentations by Dr. Marzena Olszewska-Placha (QWED, Bartlomiej Salski (Warsaw University of Technology) and Michael Hill, PhD (Intel)
- Conference Keynote: “Correlating mmWave Permittivity Measurement Tools with an Introduction to Intel’s Metrology Capability Analysis,” Michael Hill, PhD (Intel)
The 5G/mmWave Materials Assessment and Characterization Project, Report 3: A Round Robin Study to Determine Measurement Accuracies of Commercial Resonator-Based Techniques (January 2022)
- Industry Challenges for Low Loss Measurements, Urmi Ray (iNEMI) and Say Phommakesone (Keysight)
- Key Highlights from iNEMI 5G Project, Michael Hill (Intel)
- 5G Electronics: Bridging the Measurement Challenges, Magorzata Celuch and Marzena Olszewska-Placha (QWED)
- mmWave Reference Material Development at NIST, Nathan Orloff (NIST)
"Innovative Approaches to Solve Low Loss Materials Characterization Challenges," invited presentation, Urmi Ray (iNEMI), Electronic Materials and Applications 2022, Session S13: 5G Materials and Applications Telecommunications — Metrology and Characterization of Materials, January 22, 2022, virtual event).
“5G/High Frequency Materials Characterization Challenges and Opportunities,” Urmi Ray (iNEMI), Electronic Materials and Applications (EMA) Conference, American Ceramic Association (January 22, 2021; virtual event).
- iNEMI Session at IMPACT
December 21, 2021 (Taipei, Taiwan)
- “Measuring Complex Permittivity for 5G/mmWave Materials,” Hanna Kähäri (Nokia), Session 3.1: Equipment and Materials for Enabling High Performance, Connecting Heterogeneous Systems Summit, September 1, 2021 (virtual event)
- “Solving High Frequency Materials Characterization Challenges in 5G Electronics,” Urmi Ray (iNEMI), webinar sponsored by the International Wireless Industry Consortium (IWIC), June 16, 2021
- “5G/High Frequency Materials Test Challenges: Closing the Gaps via E2E Supply Chain Collaborative Innovation,” Urmi Ray (iNEMI), NIST Workshop: Securing the 5G Supply Chain through Measurement, Potential Adoption Paths for Measurements in 5G Hardware Security Session, May 19, 2021
- “High Frequency Measurements Using Wafer Level Techniques: Measuring Low dK/dFMaterials from 1 GHz to 1 THz,” presented by Nathan Orloff (NIST), iNEMI session at ICEP, May 13, 2021 (virtual event).
- 5G Electronics Challenges: High Frequency Materials Characterization
iNEMI Invited Session at the International Conference on Device Packaging
April 14, 2021 (virtual event)
Session Chair: Urmi Ray, iNEMI
Presentations and speakers:
“Challenges for High Dk/Df Measurements,” Urmi Ray (iNEMI)
“Benchmarking Resonator based Low Dk/Df Material Measurements,” Richard Stephenson (EMD Electronics)
“Recent Developments of Resonator Measurements for Emerging Materials and Technologies,” Magorzata Celuch & Marzena Olszewska-Placha (QWED)
“High Frequency Measurements Using Wafer Level Techniques,” Nathan Orloff (NIST)
“Optimizing Measurement Accuracy and Repeatability for High Frequency Measurements,” Say Phommakesone and Daisuke Kato (Keysight Technologies)
- iNEMI Technical Session: 5G/High Frequency Materials Characterization Challenges and Opportunities
IPC APEX EXPO / March 12, 2021
Moderator: Urmi Ray (iNEMI)
"High Frequency Measurements Using Wafer Level Techniques," Nathan Orloff (NIST)
"Benchmarking Resonator Based Low Dk/Df Material Measurements," Michael Hill (Intel) and Malgorzata Celuch (QWED)
"Optimizing Measurement Accuracy and Repeatability for High Frequency Measurements," Say Phommakesone and Daisuke Kato (Keysight)
- Panel Session: Packaging Challenges & Opportunities for 5G Applications
Electronics Packaging Technology Conference (EPTC)
December 4, 2019; Singapore
Moderator: Dr. Haley Fu, iNEMI
iNEMI co-organized a session at EPTC that featured a diverse panel of speakers who outlined the key drivers and applications for 5G such as high-speed computing, smart phones, automotive, networking, IoT, etc. Discussions from session contributed to the development of iNEMI’s initiative on 5G mmWave material characterization and testing.