Prabjit Singh, IBM
Raiyo Aspandiar, Intel
Hemant M. Shah, Intel
This project is in sign-up until January 31, 2022
Presentation: Call-for-Participation Webinar (January 11 & 13, 2022)
Statement of Work and Project Statement
The low melting temperature of 138°C makes SnBi alloys attractive for assembling thermally warpage-prone high-density microelectronic packaging. However, Bi has a high propensity for electromigration and segregation at the anode under high current density conditions. This can lead to potentially brittle solder joints with high electrical resistance over time in the field. There is need to explore ways to mitigate such shortcoming and develop SnBi solder joints that maintain their performance and reliability over the product life. This iNEMI project plans to explore the potential to reduce electromigration in low height solder joints by taking advantage of mechanical and/or chemical back stresses.
The overall project objective is to determine the boundaries of the envelope formed by joint height, temperature, current density and PCB finishes within which the solder joint will operate reliably over the product life.
The project has multiple phases planned. The first phase will:
- Establish an appropriate test vehicle for electromigration study of solder joints, including a convenient means of achieving various joint heights.
- Investigate the role of back pressure in reducing electromigration in eutectic SnBi solder joints by determining the rate of electromigration of SnBi solder joints with and without diffusion barriers as a function of current density, temperature and joint height.
Steps for Joining the Project
For iNEMI members
- Complete and sign the Project Statement
- Email the completed statement to email@example.com
- Discuss annual membership fees with Shekhar Chandrashekhar in North America Shekhar (Shekhar.Chandrashekhar@inemi.org), Haley Fu in Asia (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Steve Payne in Europe (email@example.com).
- Complete the iNEMI membership application and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete and sign the project statement and email to email@example.com
For Additional Information