iNEMI at SMTA International 2022
SMTA International 2022
October 31-November 3, 2022
Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Papers & Presentations
Three iNEMI project teams presented project results as part of the technical program for the 2022 SMTA International conference. The following papers were originally published in the proceedings of the SMTA International, October 31-November 3, 2022.
Session IRR7- High Reliability 2
Tuesday, November 1
- “Thermal Fatigue Reliability of 1206 Thermal Fatigue Reliability of a 1206 Chip Resistor with High-Performance Pb-Free Solder Alloys,” presented by Timothy Pearson, Collins Aerospace paper presentation
- iNEMI project: Characterization of Third Generation High-Reliability Pb-Free Alloys
Session HPR1: Conformal Coating
Tuesday, November 1
- “Conformal Coating Testing in Various Test Environments,” presented by Prabjit Singh, IBM paper presentation
- iNEMI project: Conformal Coating Evaluation for Improved Environmental Protection
Session LTS4 - Thermal Cycling 1
Thursday, November 3
- “The Effect of Thermal Cycling Profile on Thermal Fatigue Performance of a 192-Pin Chip Array BGA with Hybrid, Homogeneous, and Resin Reinforced Low Temperature Solder Interconnects,” presented by Dan Burkholder, Intel paper presentation
- “Thermal Cycling Performance of Hybrid, Homogenous and Resin Reinforced Low Temperature Solder Ball Grid Array Interconnects,” presented by Richard Coyle, Nokia Bell Labs paper presentation
- iNEMI project (both presentations): BiSn-Based Low-Temperature Soldering Process and Reliability
Awards & Recognition
SMTA Members of Distinction Award Winners for 2022
Congratulations to Richard Coyle, Ph.D., Nokia Bell Labs, and Morgana Ribas, MacDermid Alpha Electronics Solutions, who were named SMTA Members of Distinction Award Winners for 2022. They were recognized at the recent SMTA International Conference.
Richard Coyle received the Technical Distinction Award which recognizes individuals who have made significant and continuing technical contributions to the Surface Mount Technology Association (SMTA). Richard sits on the iNEMI Board of Directors, is project leader for iNEMI’s Characterization of Third Generation High-Reliability Pb-Free Solder Alloys and QFN Package Board Level Reliability projects, and is an active contributor to iNEMI’s BiSn-Based Low-Temperature Soldering Process and Reliability Project.
Morgana Ribas (MacDermid Alpha Electronics Solutions) received the Excellence in International Leadership Award. This award recognizes members who have provided outstanding support and leadership to the SMTA's international members, chapters, or educational programs. Morgana is active in iNEMI’s BiSn-Based Low-Temperature Soldering Process and Reliability Project.
Best Paper Awards from SMTA International 2021
Best of Proceedings Paper Award for 2021: Richard Coyle, Ph.D., Nokia Bell Labs, “Interim Thermal Cycling Report on Hybrid and Homogeneous LTS Solder Joints.” The paper was written in conjunction with the iNEMI BiSn-Based Low-Temperature Soldering Process and Reliability project team.
Honorable Mention: Jagadeesh Radhakrishnan, Intel, "Mechanical Shock Testing and Failure Analysis on Mixed SnAgCu-BiSn and Full Stack BiSn Solder Joints of CABGA192 Components," presented on behalf of the iNEMI BiSn-Based Low-Temperature Soldering Process and Reliability project team.