Feng Xue, IBM
Joe Zou, Intel
Charlie Reynolds, IBM
Presentation & Recording for End-of-Project Webinar (August 26 & 27, 2021). NOTE: this was a members-only webinar. Log-in is required to access the presentation and recording.
Statement of Work and Project Statement
The finer pitch substrate features used in new advanced packaging technologies such as SiP, 2.5D, etc., can make it difficult to validate designs and, as a result, impact yield assessment and quality validation of these new packages. There is a need to identify and characterize the capabilities of inspection technologies that can enable faster process development and higher yield in volume production. The Wafer/Panel Level Fine Pitch Substrate Inspection/Metrology project was organized to address this need.
Phase 3 Focus
Phase 3 continues the study of inspection technologies begun in Phase 2, focusing on an organic test vehicle (TV).
- Evaluate current inspection & measurement capabilities for fine pitch substrates that will be needed over the next five years.
- Fabricate TV on organic substrate with the same TV designs used in Phase 2.
- Understand and quantify the automatic optical inspection (AOI) capability limitations for the fine pitch patterns and defects on TVs.
- Compare with other metrologies, such as SEM or OGP, and identify the different capability results among the TV substrate.
- Start the review of TV designs and defect modes for 10um line/space down to 1um and determine implications for organic substrate fabrication.
- Over the longer term, analyze measurement data and compare the data with AOI-type equipment and other metrologies and TV substrate types.
Presentation: Wafer/Panel Level Fine Pitch Substrate Inspection/Metrology Project, Phase 3 Call-for-Participation Webinar (March 5 2020)
Previous Related Projects